Slip or trip and fall accidents can occur virtually anywhere to anyone, often with dire consequences. As the CDC reports, each year, 3 million older Americans require emergency treatment for fall injuries and over 800,000 people are hospitalized because of them.
Some slip and fall accident injuries occur because people are ill, weak and lose their balance. However, many occur because property owners and managers failed to maintain their property so that it was safe for visitors. Under Florida law, if property owners or managers do not maintain their property so that it is safe or fail to warn visitors to their property of known dangers and you fall and injure yourself because of their negligence, you can hold them liable with a premises liability claim.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a slip or trip and fall accident on someone else’s property, you may be able to hold the responsible party accountable for their negligence and receive compensation for your medical expenses, pain, suffering, loss of income and other losses. The property owner’s insurance company will most likely try to get you to settle for less than you deserve or fight your claim altogether, but the experienced Orlando slip and fall attorneys at Malik Law know the tactics they use and will stand up to them. We have years of successful experience helping clients recover millions from insurance companies and want to help you obtain the settlement or award you deserve.
What Causes Orlando Slip and Fall Accidents?
A slip and fall accident occurs when you slip or trip and then fall and are injured. You might fall because you are distracted and not looking where you are going or because you are weak or dizzy. However, slip and fall accidents typically happen because of some hazard in the environment.
Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents in Orlando are:
- Water on walkways —Water on sidewalks, on roads, in parking lots or around pools, can be a dangerous slip hazard.
- Liquid spills on the floor — Like water on walkways, liquid spilled on a floor in a grocery store, bar, restaurant or other venue can also be a slip hazard.
- Cracks, chips or uneven walking surfaces — Asphalt or concrete that has not been maintained often has dangerous cracks or chips that can result in serious falls. Parking lots, walkways and steps can be especially dangerous.
- Obstructions in a store — Equipment, merchandise, cords, or other items left in a store aisle can cause someone to trip and fall.
- Broken stairs or loose handrails — Broken, loose or missing handrails or broken steps can cause people to fall and get seriously injured.
- Code violations – When entry thresholds, stairways, handrails, and accessibility features at places of business do not conform to industry safety standards or applicable building codes, people visiting those businesses can be injured due to unsafe conditions.
- Inadequate lighting — Defective or inadequate lighting inside and outside places of business such as bars, restaurants, hotels, stores and shopping malls. can lead to slips, trips and falls.
Who Is Liable for Slip and Fall Accident Injuries in Orlando?
When a slip or trip and fall injury is caused entirely or partially by negligent maintenance or safety precautions, the property owner and/or manager can be held liable for an accident victim’s injuries with a premises liability claim. The claim must show that:
- The property owner and/or manager owed you a duty of care.
- They breached that duty be failing to remove a dangerous condition or warn others of a known hazard.
- This breach of duty (negligence) caused your slip or trip and fall injury accident.
- Because of the injury accident, you suffered actual damages, such as medical expenses, pain, suffering and emotional trauma.
If your attorney can demonstrate that the property owner and/or manager failed to use reasonable care in the operation and maintenance of the property and that the failure caused or partially caused your slip or trip and fall injury, then the owner and/or manager can be held liable for your injuries and you can be compensated for the economic and non-economic damages you suffered.
What Compensation Can Orlando Slip and Fall Accident Victims Obtain?
With help from the experienced Orlando slip and fall accident attorneys at Malik Law, you may be able to recover substantial compensation for the damages you suffered because of your slip and fall injury. The actual amount you may receive depends on multiple factors about the accident and your injuries, which we will investigate and asses, but, in general, may include:
- Medical expenses – Existing and future health care expenses associated with your slip and fall injury.
- Lost income and diminished earning capacity – Income lost because of injuries from the accident, as well as decreased or lost earning capacity due to the injuries preventing your return to your job or getting one that pays as well.
- Pain and suffering – Physical pain and suffering from the physical injuries.
- Mental anguish – Depression, anxiety and stress related to your injuries.
- Diminished quality of life – Decreased ability to enjoy life.
- Other economic and non-economic damages applicable in specific cases under Florida law.
Since businesses’ insurance companies typically try to enhance their profits by minimizing the amount they pay deserving accident victims, it is in your best interest to have a slip and fall attorney with successful insurance litigation experience advocating for you. At Malik Law, we have years of experience fighting insurance companies for clients’ rights and winning the settlements and awards they truly deserve.
Contact Experienced Orlando Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys
The slip and fall attorneys at Malik Law will work tirelessly to get you the full compensation you deserve for your injuries. We will collect and present ample evidence to demonstrate negligence, negotiate aggressively with insurance company representatives for the financial settlement you deserve and fight them aggressively in court if a satisfactory settlement cannot be reached.
Through the years, we have achieved millions of dollars in settlements and awards for our clients. Let us put our knowledge, skill and experience fighting for accident victims’ rights to work for you.
Call us today at 407-537-0228 or submit the Free Case Evaluation form on our website for a free consultation with one of our expert Orlando insurance claim attorneys. You will not pay anything until you receive a fair settlement or award at trial.