Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) is a condition characterized by diffuse pain, swelling and limitation of movement that follows an injury such as a fracture in an arm or leg. The symptoms are way out of proportion to the injury and may linger long after the injury has healed. Suspicion of the condition is critical as the condition is best diagnosed and treated early.
Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) symptoms often follows a car accident, other type of accident, or a surgical procedure, and occurs when an injury or traumas do not heal properly.
Many personal injury victims are unaware that they have developed RSD symptoms following an accident. RSD can also commonly be missed in diagnosis or misdiagnosed entirely. One of the reasons for this is that many RSD victims initially believe it is regular pain associated with the injury itself because initially the pain does not appear to be greater than that if the initial injury that has lead to the development of RSD symptoms.
While being caused by the initial injury or traumas, RSD is a medical condition completely separate from the initial injury.
Common Symptoms of Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) include:
- Severe, constant, burning, and/or deep aching pain in one or more of the extremities.
- Skin that appears shiny, dry, or scaly. RSD is associated with a variety of skin disorders including rashes, ulcers, and pustules.
- Hair that grows coarse and thin.
- Nails that may be more brittle, grow faster and then slower.
- Swelling, pitting or hard edema that is usually localized to the painful and tender region.
- Difficulty moving due to pain. Stiff joints, tremors and involuntary severe jerking or extremities may be present.
- Sudden onset of muscle cramps that can be severe and completely incapacitating.
- Pain that eventually spreads from the sight of the initial injury.
- X-rays that may show wasting of bone or a bone scan may show increased or decreased uptake of a certain radioactive substance in bones after intravenous injection.
If you have diagnosed with RSD related injuries as a result of an accident or incident due to the carelessness or negligence of another, seek the legal advice and representation of a professional personal injury attorney. At MALIK LAW, P.A. you will work with a personal injury lawyer who is dedicated to protecting the rights of individuals with injuries that caused or directly lead to RSD symptoms due to an accident or incident in Orlando, Winter Park, Orange County Florida, Osceola County Florida, Seminole County Florida, and the Central Florida area.
Call 407.203.5303 to discuss your legal rights, options, and goals relating to an RSD symptoms as a result of a personal injury. You may also contact us by filling out and submitting our online case evaluation form.